Chloe never was a sleepy baby. Everyone tells you newborns sleep all the time … Not Chloe! From the beginning she was awake for around 4 hours or more at once. As the time went by and she was getting older and older she was awake more and more …. And some more.
I mentioned before that the key for us to get Chloe to sleep nicely and easyly without waking up crying was longer naps (apparently 30 min 3 times a day isn’t good enough). I also mentioned that it wasn’t too hard to get Chloe to nap for 1,5 hour …. Spoken to soon !!!
If you are struggling with getting your little one to nap for longer than 30-45 minutes, don’t worry! Most of us are!If you aren’t then you are really lucky! There are days when Chloe naps like a dream! She always wakes up after her first sleep cycle but going back to sleep is a hit and miss. Sometimes it takes few seconds and she is back asleep, sometimes 5 minutes of her talking … sometimes 15, sometimes 5 minutes crying … Sometimes 30 minutes. If we have one of the bad days I give up after 20 minutes and take her for a walk. That way Chloe gets her sleep (takes 5 minutes in the pram and she is out) and I get my coffee and magazine break in Coffeeshop 😊
I tried all of the advice that you can find out there on how to get them back to sleep:
– sussh and pat ( she doesn’t want to lay on her side to do it 😊)
– having good routine (we always go to sleep at this same time)
– making sure that naps are when Chloe needs it and when she is tired (you can establishe it quite easily by observing your baby)
– staying in the room with them ( doesn’t work, Chloe things that I am there to play with her)
– speaking to Chloe about the need to sleep to have more energy to play (some reason she doesn’t ether understand or agree with me)
What works best for us is to keep coming in to the room, putting her comfort blanket to her cheek, dummy in to mouth and leaving the room. Sometimes I need to do it 100 times but 90% of the time it works.
Good news is apparently it will get much easier when baby is 6 months old !!!!!!